Glenaladale consists of a 529 acre estate with 2000 feet of shorefront on Tracadie Bay. ( View on Google Maps )
It includes a large 3 story brick home dating from 1883 and outbuildings, including the Tracadie Schoolhouse built in 1899.
Prior to the Scottish immigration, the area served as a “good camping ground” for the Mi’kmaq and as a home to some of the Island’s Acadian families. In 1772, Capt. John MacDonald, 8th Laird of Glenaladale and 7th Laird of Glenfinnan in Scotland, brought the first Scottish Catholic settlers to what was then St John’s Island (now Prince Edward Island). These people are now known as The Glenaladale Settlers. Because they came, many of their close relatives came in the large settlements of 1790-91. Capt. John’s son Father John brought the Glasgow Irish in 1830 which set in motion the largest Irish immigration to Prince Edward Island – known as the Monaghan Settlers. So one can see how critical the involvement of the people attached to Glenaladale has been to the growth of Prince Edward Island and through its diaspora, to Canada as a whole.
Glenaladale was the private home of three generations of the family of Captain John MacDonald until 1905 when it was purchased by a family of MacKinnons who have called it home since then.
Through various aspects of their lives and undertakings, the MacDonalds and the MacKinnons have made significant contributions to Prince Edward Island. Capt. John MacDonald and his grandson, tobacco magnate and educational philanthropist Sir William C. Macdonald, are both recognized as persons of national historic significance.